UPDATE (OCTOBER 28, 2013): The hearing location has been moved from Room 226 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building to Room 216 of the Hart Senate Office Building.
(UPDATED) The U.S. Senate has rescheduled the hearing on stand your ground laws, which was originally scheduled for September 17 in Washington, D.C., but postponed due to shootings the day before at a nearby Navy Yard. The new hearing date will be nine days before a hearing in Florida on a bill to repeal that state’s stand your ground law.
The hearing in Washington, on “Stand Your Ground Laws: Civil Rights and Public Safety Implications of the Expanded Use of Deadly Force”, by the Senate Judiciary Committee‘s Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights, will be held on Tuesday, October 29, at 10:00 a.m. The location in Room 226 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building was changed to Room 216 of the Hart Senate Office Building.
Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin, and Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis were listed on the original panel, and attorneys for both women have confirmed with this website that they are still scheduled for the hearing. A bipartisan cross-section of proponents and opponents of stand your ground laws are also expected to testify on the panel.
Majority members on the subcommittee are Dick Durbin (R-Illinois), Al Franken (D-Minnesota), Christopher Coons (D-Delaware), Rick Blumenthal (D-Connecticut), and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii); minority members are Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Ranking Member Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), John Cornyn (R-Texas), and Orrin Hatch (R-Utah).
If you can’t attend the hearing in person you can WATCH THE LIVE WEBCAST HERE ON OCTOBER 29th: http://www.senate.gov/isvp/?comm=judiciary&type=live&filename=judiciary102913
- Florida Hearing On Repeal Of Stand Your Ground Is Nov. 7th (endstandyourground.wordpress.com)
- Mothers of Trayvon Martin, Jordan Davis to testify at Senate ‘Stand Your Ground’ hearing (thegrio.com)
- Florida Senate Advances Changes In Stand Your Ground Law (endstandyourground.wordpress.com)
- Stand Your Ground In Action: Dead Men Can’t Talk (endstandyourground.wordpress.com)
- Cleveland Joins List Of Ohio Cities Against Stand Your Ground (endstandyourground.wordpress.com)