Facebook Killer Derek Medina Convicted

Two years after killing his wife then posting a picture of her dead body on facebook, 33 year-old Derek Medina of Miami faces life in prison after being convicted today (November 25, 2015) in the August 8, 2013 murder of 26 year-old Jennifer Alfonso. Medina had been charged with second-degree murder, throwing a deadly missile, and child endangerment.

SEE: Facebook Killer Indicted, Claims Stand Your Ground

Derek Medina
Derek Medina

After a ten-day trial before Miami-Dade County Judge Yvonne Colodny a jury convicted Medina of second degree murder. Closing arguments took place on yesterday (November 24), the jury deliberated overnight, and returned a verdict of guilty about 1 P.M. today (November 25).

Medina’s case was rather unusual, in that he has insisted since he was arrested on the day of the crimes that he had been an abused husband and victim of domestic violence for years. He had claimed self-defense, asserting that Alfonso was mad because he had not woke her up in time to watch a movie, started throwing things at him, verbally threatened him, and that she had finally got a kitchen knife and tried to attack him.

He has said he posted messages and a photo of Alfonso’s dead body on each of their facebook pages to let both their families know what he had done, so they would be prepared to take care of Alfonso’s daughter, who was in the couple’s apartment during the incident but did not witness it. The shocking, grisly photo of Alfonso bent back at the knees, wearing black stretch pants and a black top, with bloody face and arms, immediately went viral on social media, but was later taken down.

medina's facebook post
medina’s facebook post

Medina declined a chance to testify during his trial, apparently with good cause. Earlier this year, during a pre-trial status hearing, Medina was thrown out of a courtroom after repeatedly addressing the judge, and had previously interrupted a status hearing to say he wanted a bench trial.

Advertisements

Facebook Killer Derek Medina Gets Thrown Out Of Court

The Miami man who killed his wife – then posted a confession with a grisly picture of her dead body on facebook – was rebuked by a Miami judge last week during a pre-trial status hearing, and thrown out of a courtroom after repeatedly addressing the judge. He previously interrupted proceedings in a courtroom at a status hearing six months ago, asking for a bench trial.

UPDATE: Facebook Killer Derek Medina Convicted

"Facebook killer" Derek Medina
“Facebook killer” Derek Medina is escorted out of courtroom July 1, 2015 (screenshot credit: CBSMiami)

Derek Medina, now 36 years-old, is accused of murdering his wife, Jennifer Alfonso, 26, two years ago, on August 8, 2013, claiming it was self-defense. He reportedly told police that Alfonso had attacked him by throwing things at him and threatening him with a knife. His attorney at the time, Saam Zanganeh, said they were planning a “stand your ground” defense, alleging Medina had been the victim of  spousal abuse.

Medina reportedly said he posted the picture on the social networking site to let both their families know what he had done, so they would be ready to take care of her young daughter (who was in the couples’ apartment during the incident). He was arrested, and indicted on a first-degree murder charge. Medina entered a plea of not guilty, and has been held in jail since being denied bond after his arrest.

 

medina's facebook post
medina’s facebook post

 

Medina appeared disheveled, in a state of hypertrichosis, at a hearing in a Miami-Dade courthouse last week on July 1st, and addressed Judge Yvonne Colodny, claiming, “we have video evidence of Jennifer Alfonso attempting to murder me”. Although being repeatedly warned by Colodny not to speak, and with his attorney admonishing him, Medina was determined to make his point. After several warnings, the judge ordered him out of the courtroom.

Derek Medina
“Facebook killer” Derek Medina (screenshot credit: CBSMiami)

A surveillance video Medina may be referring to (below) appears to show the location of the crime, an off-camera scuffle, and the flash of gunshots, but does not show the actual murder.

Medina obviously can’t keep his mouth shut during court hearings. At a status hearing in January, he stood and requested a bench trial. His next status hearing is set for August 14. The case is scheduled to go to trial on October 12.

(Video courtesy: Miami-Dade Florida state attorney’s office/Miami Herald)

Related articles

Stand Your Ground Movie Opening This Weekend

Over 8,000 seats have been reserved in 19 towns for the opening weekend of the independent film “Cry For Justice: Stand Your Ground”, a courtroom drama based on a true story of faith and a journey experienced by Jackie Carpenter, a Georgia woman, as she fights to free her son, Jason Veitch, from felony murder charges.

The movie is scheduled to open in 19 theaters in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Illinois, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas on Friday.

Veitch was defending his property in 2008 when he shot and killed Gaston Gonzalez, whom he suspected of stealing construction materials. Veitch was later cleared of all charges.

Ironically, Lucia Mcbath, the mother of 17-year-old Jordan Davis, gunned down in Florida in 2012 by 46 year-old Michael Dunn during an argument over loud music, is an actress who has a small role in the film. She plays the fictional Mrs. Reymundo, a grieving mother and the wife of a man named Juan Reymundo.

Mcbath testified at a U.S. Senate hearing and at a Florida hearing on stand your ground laws. Both she and the teen’s dad, Ron Davis, have been advocates for changes to stand your ground law.

The filmmakers have a faceboook page and website hawking the movie. To see locations and reserve tickets go to Seatzy.com.

The film is not yet rated, but its producers claim it is a Dove “Family Approved” film recommended for ages 12 and over, having received The Dove Foundation’s highest rating of Five Doves.


Related articles

Facebook Killer Derek Medina Indicted, Claims Stand Your Ground

MIAMI, FL. (UPDATED December 4, 2013) – Derek Medina, a Miami man accused of killing his wife earlier this year, then posting a picture of her dead body on facebook, was indicted by a grand jury today on a new charge of 1st degree murder, according to a bill of information filed November 26. His attorneys plan to abuse er, use a stand your ground defense.

UPDATE: Facebook Killer Derek Medina Convicted

Derek Medina
Derek Medina

In this unusual twist to the usual “stand your ground” horror stories, Medina, 31, still in jail after a judge denied bond, pled not guilty earlier this year to all three charges of 2nd degree murder with a firearm, throwing a deadly missile, and child endangerment.

He claims he was a victim of spousal abuse by his wife, 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso. Her friends reportedly say it was just the opposite, and that it was actually Alfonso who was the abuse victim.

Derek Medina and Jennifer Alfonso (facebook)
Derek Medina and Jennifer Alfonso

Medina claims the spousal abuse continued for years, including August 8, 2013 – the day he took Alfonso’s life. He claims she was mad because he had not woke her up in time for a date night, started throwing things at him, verbally threatening him, and finally pulled out a kitchen knife.

Medina claims he then managed to get the knife from her, put it back in a kitchen drawer, and, when Alfonso continued to hit him, he pulled out his .380 caliber gun and fired “six or seven” times, leaving the young woman dead on the kitchen floor. Alfonso’s 10 year-old daughter from a previous marriage was in the house during the shooting.

In a series of photos taken by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office eight days after his arrest, minor bruises are visible on Medina’s tattooed arm. It’s unknown why police waited over a week to take these evidence photos.
Derek Medina 'Injury'3
Derek Medina “injuries” (photos released by Miami-Dade State Atty. Office)

He said he posted messages and the photo of the crime scene on each of their facebook pages to let both their families know what he had done, so they would be prepared to take care of her daughter after his crime.

The shocking, grisly photo of Alfonso bent back at the knees, wearing black stretch pants and a black top, with bloody face and arms, immediately went viral on facebook, but was later taken down. The photo is available but will not be posted here out of respect for the deceased woman’s family.

medina's facebook post
Medina’s facebook post
Derek Medina facebook page
Derek Medina facebook page

An autopsy discovered Alfonso had defensive wounds, and was shot at point-blank range from a higher angle, implicating she may have been kneeling. “The victim was very low to the  ground at the time she was shot,” Detective Jonathan Grossman  testified at a bail hearing. “The victim appeared to  be in a cowering position.”

Medina reportedly called and confessed the crime to his boss after the incident, then stopped by an aunt’s house to say goodbye, before showing up at a Miami police station hours later with his dad. He has reportedly told police, “I don’t feel that I’m guilty, and I feel like this was self-defense.”

More than 40 subpoenas have been issued in connection with the case. A status hearing is set for January 29, 2014, and he is due to enter a plea on the new charge of 1st degree murder on March 6. The trial hearing is set for March 17.

Facebook killer Derek Medina murder scene surveillance video released by Miami-Dade state Attorney’s office (courtesy Miami Herald)

Related articles

Get Facebook, Google and Yelp Out Of ALEC!

alec-bar

SIGN THE PETITION TO GOOGLE, YELP, & FACEBOOK

Union-busting, fighting Obamacare, backing the Stand Your Ground laws that led to Trayvon Martin’s death, hiding proof of climate change… there’s nothing the American Legislative Exchange Council won’t stoop to.

The public outcry against ALEC has caused nearly fifty corporations to drop out over the past several months. But now Facebook, Google and Yelp are looking to reverse that trend.

The companies recently joined a group responsible for some of the most egregious anti-labor, anti-environment, anti-poor, and anti-minority legislation in the past decade. Now, we need to raise a cry to show them that getting in bed with ALEC is unacceptable, before all the hard work over the past year is undone.

Demand Facebook, Google and Yelp drop their ALEC membership now.

We can’t afford to have three major tech companies help finance a monstrosity like this right-wing lobbying group, and they can’t afford the bad press that comes with an ALEC membership. ALEC has become a toxic brand that image-conscious companies don’t want to be associated with.

ALEC worked in close conjunction with the NRA to push the controversial Stand Your Ground law onto dozens of states. ALEC helped private prison companies enact Arizona’s “show your papers” law in order to fill up cells with Latinos. It has sponsored a host of horrific legislation that is tearing down personal rights and handing over money to corporations. We simply cannot allow such practices to be condoned by major companies.

Our voices already shamed over fifty companies and nonprofits, including the likes of Amazon, Walmart, and Coca-Cola, into dropping the American Legislative Executive Council. Just recently, after months of pressure by students, Sallie Mae left the group. But if we don’t speak out now, Google, Facebook, and Yelp could start back the movement of corporate funding into ALEC.

SIGN THE PETITION ON SUMOFUS.ORG

What does this move mean for those who oppose ALEC’s agenda, and depend on search results and social sites like facebook to make impressions. How will this impact rankings, and SEO, and influence?

Also see

Statement By Family Of Stand Your Ground Victim Darrell Niles

Darrell Niles (twitter photo)

Statement issued by the family of 17-year-old Darrell Niles regarding the court decision on stand your ground immunity hearing for Shannon Scott (courtesy WISTV.com):

As a family, we have waited patiently, quietly and painfully for the last three years. We even remained silent, painful, yet hopeful during the Zimmerman case. We did not come this far not to receive justice for Darrell. We know that there is nothing we can do to bring Darrell back, but we will now speak on behalf of all innocent bystanders.

We were present in court every day and heard every statement. We are appalled by the judges decision. The 4 teenagers that testified on Shannon Scott’s behalf, gave 4 different stories. After each of their testimonies, it was revealed that each of them changed their stories from three years ago (statements were read aloud in court).

Please, please, please understand that there are so many details being left out. Kudos to Todd Rutherford for being a good lawyer. However, Shannon Scott’s roommate and his girlfriend testified that Shannon came into his room, grabbed his gun without telling them to get down or about any threat and immediately walked outside shooting. They testified that the first shot was close to the house and happened immediately after Shannon went out of his front door. They said the second shot was far off. This matches the statement (read in court) given by the shooter in the car of so called “women thugs”. She said she wanted the person that was shooting at her to know that she also had a gun, so she shot back.

As Rutherford mentioned on WIS news, the young lady did give a statement to police stating that she was going to shoot Shannon’s house up, but Rutherford failed to mention that her sentence ended in “after someone shot at me, but my friends talked me out of it.” She felt the need to defend herself.

Prior to this case, Shannon had no knowledge that the girls planned to shoot at his home. He found out in court and Mr. Rutherford capitalized on it in his closing statement to paint a picture that did not happen. Even the 911 call made by Shannon’s wife, at the time girlfriend, which was played in court said, “there is a white SUV full of girls parked at Allstate”. She stated that Shannon heard her say this. So, how did he end up shooting a red Honda that contained two boys?

Darrell Niles
stand your ground victim Darrell Niles (facebook photo)

The young man riding with Darrell also testified that Shannon shot first. He saw him walk out and start shooting. He also testified of a second shot that was far off. The 911 call gave details on where the girls were (parked at Allstate…a few houses down and two the right of Shannon’s home) and pictures revealed where my Darrell’s car ended (pictures shown in court….like two houses down and to the left of Shannon’s home). That doesn’t make for an off shot. That makes for bad judgement.

Shannon also testified that he saw the vehicle that posed a threat come down the street with it’s headlights off. Pictures shown revealed that Darrell’s headlights were on. Nonetheless, this man was shooting at kids.

Yes, teenagers can pose a threat and we understand wanting to protect your child, but by any means necessary and without judgement?!? There was a sign at his home that said, “Shoot first. Ask questions later.” He did exactly that. Regardless of what his lawyer wants people to believe, Shannon shot first. He created the biggest threat and took an innocent bystanders life. He shot at a car that had the windows up (pictures shown in court). That is not standing your ground.

We understand that the stand your ground law has caused an uproar in our nation at this time, but we do not feel as if it is applicable to this case. We hope and pray that the Supreme Court would allow this case to go to trial. We are confident in the facts. Not the painted picture of Rutherford, who helped write the stand your ground law. Thanks to everyone in support of justice in this case. We thank you. We solicit your prayers. One thing is for sure, facts do not lie!!

Related articles

Entertainers Deny Boycott Rumors

Stevie_Wonder

Aside from Stevie Wonder, it appears no other celebrities have publicly linked their names to a boycott of Florida in the wake of the Trayvon Martin trial verdict. Keep in mind the verdict wasn’t based on the ‘Stand Your Ground’ law, but borrowed language from the law.

Washington journalist April Ryan caused a stir today when she published a list of about 20 artists she claimed reliable sources close to Stevie’s camp had confirmed as taking part in a celebrity boycott.

Quite a few entertainers on the list, including Madonna, Alicia Keys, & the Rolling  Stones heard about it and promptly issued statements denying participating. JayZ is reportedly still scheduled for a concert in Sun Belt Stadium also.

Ryan later said “So far, in addition to Stevie Wonder, two other entertainers whose names appear on the list have been identified by other news organizations as being supporters of the boycott. They are Mary Mary and R&B singer Eddie Levert”. Ryan has since issued this statement:

“I obtained from multiple sources early Monday a list of artists and entertainers who my sources told me had committed to a boycott of Florida following the George Zimmerman acquittal. Since publishing that list I have heard from several representatives of the artists named who say, on behalf of their clients, they are uncomfortable being identified on that list and are seeking additional information.”

The rumor mill is busy, and if you’re Wondering whether a celebrity boycott could hurt the Orange state, check out the Week.

Related articles