UPDATED June 26, 2016
Since the Trayvon Martin shooting over 500,000 names have been added to online petitions calling for a review, change, or end to stand your ground laws, and over 80% of that number come from a petition started by Martin’s parents.
Although activism against the law has dropped dramatically, public sentiment against stand your ground law appears steady, sometimes refueled by news of homicides involving the possibility of stand your ground laws being invoked.
“Change For Trayvon“, a petition on Change.org, calls for the Governors of 21 states to review and amend stand your ground laws. This petition was started in 2012 by Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin (parents of Trayvon Martin) and appeared to have had the most signers in February, 2014 – 427,605 – with a goal of 500,000 (In August, 2013, there were 383,844).
One petition on ColorOfChange.org, calling for an end to “Shoot First” laws had collected 46,890 by August, 2013. And another, to repeal stand your ground laws across America – started by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense – had 26,547 signees in August, 2013 and 30,000 in February, 2014.
Moral Mondays activism, accompanied by news of stand your ground incidents in 2013, helped the names on a petition to repeal stand your ground in Georgia soar from 384 in August, 2013 to over 8400 in February, 2014.
Several other petitions have closed after reaching their goals or becoming ineffective, such as one asking Florida to review the laws, or calling for repeal and another to repeal Florida’s stand your ground law, which had a goal of 10,000 and closed at about 16,000.
Here’s an updated list of over a dozen active online petitions against stand your ground laws. Links to inactive or closed petitions have been removed (Happy Signing!)
- Update: New petition End “STAND YOUR GROUND” Law in “EVERY” State (whitehouse.gov)
- Change For Trayvon (Change.org)
- Stand against ‘Shoot First’ laws (ColorOfChange.org)
- Repeal Stand Your Ground Laws Across America(credomobilze.com)
- Stand Up To Stand Your Ground Laws (Coalition to Stop Gun Violence)
- Repeal All Stand Your Ground Laws (Dailykos.com)
- Boycott Florida Tourism (IPetitions.com)
- Repeal Florida’s Stand Your Ground Law (IPetitions.com)
- Repeal Stand Your Ground In Florida (DemocracyforAmerica.com)
- Repeal Pennsylvania Stand Your Ground Law (MoveOn.org)
- Repeal New Hampshire Stand Your Ground Laws (MoveOn.org)
- Repeal Georgia’s Stand Your Ground law (MoveOn.org)
- Repeal all Stand Your Ground laws (GoPetition.com)
- Repeal Shoot First laws (credoaction.com)
- End Stand Your Ground Laws (petition2congress.com)
Inactive or closed petitions:
- No More Stand Your Ground(thepetitionsite.com)
- Repeal Stand Your Ground laws (Sojo.com)
- Petitions to Dept of Justice to repeal Stand Your Ground laws in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina (petitiondemocracy.com)
- Impact petition for state legislators to review all Stand Your Ground laws (Change.org)